Drowning, the second leading cause of accidental death among children is also the second leading cause of accidental death among adults.
What Parents Should Know About Pool Safety:
- If your apartment has a pool, inspect the fence and gate. If the gate does not lock or you find any other defects with the fence, report it to the apartment management immediately
- NEVER leave a child alone near water –that includes water in a pool, spa, bathtub, toilet, bucket or any standing water in which a child's nose or mouth may be submerged
- Apartment pools have a phone near the pool. Know where it is.
- Use approved flotation devices.
- Enroll children over the age of 3 in swimming lessons taught by qualified instructors - REMEMBER- swimming lessons do not make your child "Drown-Proof!"
- Learn CPR.
- Make sure there is no standing water on the pool deck. Standing water is the #1 cause of slips and falls around a pool. NO RUNNING on the pool deck!
- Always have a first aid kit and emergency contacts handy.
- Pay attention to local weather conditions and forecasts. If lightning and thunder are nearby, get out until the storm has passed.
- Call 911 in case of emergencies.
- Throw! Don't go. Throw rescue equipment!
Teach Your Kids these Safety Tips:
- Always swim with a buddy.
- Don't dive into unknown bodies of water. Jump in feet first to avoid hitting your head on the shallow bottom.
- Don't push or jump on others in or around water.
- Swim in supervised areas only.
- Obey all rules and posted signs.