Time: 8:00am Registration and Breakfast; 8:30am-12:00pm Program
Fee: $75 prepay with a credit card; $90 if invoiced or paying at the door
Location: HAA Education Center; 4810 Westway Park Blvd; Houston 77041
Our goal as property owners and managers is to provide a harmonious living environment for our residents. People’s homes are their safe haven. We work with so many people on a given day, we have to be aware of the laws, as well as understand how and why they were created and when there is a problem. Whether it’s true discrimination or a person trying to manipulate a situation for monetary gain, we have to be prepared. HUD will be dedicating 39 million dollars in 2024 to increasing Fair Housing compliance.
Are you ready?
Attending a Fair Housing training seminar annually shows you actively participate in avoidance of discrimination and foster an inclusive environment. This comprehensive and interactive seminar is packed with information so you are proactive, not reactive!
This seminar is designed for all positions and will include:
• A brief history and explanation of Fair Housing, discrimination and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
• Understanding HUD (US Dept of Urban Development) and its process and occupancy guidelines
• Answering difficult questions such as, “Why does my neighbor have an assigned parking spot in front of my building,” “What kind of people live here?” and “Why does he have a dog when dogs aren’t allowed at this property?”
• Reasonable accommodations/modifications discussion including assistive animals, reserved parking and how to acquire proper documentation
• Specific leasing and maintenance related topics, common mistakes, and how to avoid unintentionally appearing discriminatory
• The most up to date information regarding disparate impact and legitimate interest
• Multiple examples, videos and case studies to address some of the “what ifs” to peak interest and enhance learning